just came back from a 7 day trip to singapore.
I wanted to use free apps to plan the trip, and so i did….
here’s what i was looking for:
1. Offline Map app which could guide me around the city using GPS, in case i don’t have 3G
2. Daily itenary planner using which i could plan the places i would visit each day, and also the most efficient route to take
3. Admission cost and opening hours of the places
These are the basic requirements….
now i googled the best apps and tested out the following:
1. TRIPOMATIC: Works well over web and app…syncs immediately across both…shows ratings of places and good for planning..the only downside is navigation which is apsent
2. TRIP ADVISOR: good for navigation but not for planning…
3. Street Directory: Offline Maps…had downloaded but didn’t try
4. Singapore Offline Map for ANdroid: Sucks
5. Singapore MRT: didn’t take MRT at all…used taxi..
6. Singapore Map and Guide: didn’t like it’s UI or functionality
7. Meru Cabs: for cab booking in India…sucks big time..when i booked through the helpline, the booking never showed up in the app..
NONE of the apps are sufficient on their own…
I used Tripomatic to plan the itenerary and printed out the pdf of the entire trip as a backup…this was all good..
But it never shows the actual distance in km, so i had to fall back on Google Maps for that…
Then when i ran out of good places, i used the Trip Advisor app to explore new places…
But the best thing that i did above all was to buy SingTel SIM card as soon as i landed at singapore…it was for $8 and got $10 credit, out of which i used $7 for 1 week 3G Data of 1 GB
Having internet connection is MORE IMPORTANT than all apps combined